At B&R we’ve carved out a legacy of discovering and sharing regions with travellers, and like the media we work with, we’re always focused on travellers’ diverse interests, how they’re choosing to explore, and what makes up the future of travel.
With 2019 around the corner and bookings humming along for next year, some clear trends have emerged in the world of active luxury, private and scheduled travel:
- The Growth of Solo Women Travellers
- Walking Trips Show a Steady Pace
- The Rise of Milestone Travel
Norman Howe, president and CEO of Butterfield & Robinson, is available to speak on some of these key traveller trends and destinations to keep an eye on for 2019, and shares some thoughts below:
Solo Women Traveller Growth
- B&R has seen a 68 per cent increase since 2016 in the number of solo women travellers on its trips
- With this category of traveller reaching its highest, it has seen an average increase of 18.8 per cent of solo women booking on trips since 2012
- A few of the most frequently booked trips by solo women are Puglia Biking, Peru Walking, Sicily Walking, Portugal Biking, Bordeaux to Dordogne Biking
Quotes from Norman Howe:
“Our guide network and the makeup of our group trips are a big part of B&R, our legacy and the experience we offer on the road,” says Norman Howe, president and CEO, Butterfield & Robinson. “While we run a lot of group trips, many choose to travel on their own. We’ve seen some impactful growth in solo women travellers over the last two years and I think a big part of that is the group dynamic solo travellers experience on our scheduled trips.”
Walking Trips on the Rise
- This summer, B&R revealed that it had nearly quadrupled the number of walking trips offered since 2010, totaling 112 walking trips in its travel portfolio
- With 2018 drawing to a close, B&R has seen a 13.8 per cent average increase in the number of travellers joining walking trips since 2012
From Norman Howe:
“The last two years have been B&R’s biggest for walking travellers, and 2019 bookings are already trending towards an increase,” says Howe. “In response to these numbers, we’ve continued to grow our walking portfolio with new itineraries in Corsica, Arequipa & the Colca Canyon, the Indus Valley, and along the Danube with our friends at Uniworld.”
More Milestone Trips
- B&R has seen an increasing desire to celebrate certain milestones (graduations, anniversaries, big birthdays) among travellers
- Milestone trips often need to accommodate large groups with specific expectations, requiring more from trip planners, including: access to remote and remarkable villas; spectacular and personalized activities; food and wine experiences that have been created with the travellers in mind
From Norman Howe:
“These types of private, celebratory travels are a joy to plan and execute. B&R has been able to organize private villa getaways, complete with customized activities based on traveller desires and wish lists,” says Howe. “There are so many levels of private travel, including personally tailored bespoke adventures, private ready-to-book and self-guided trips, and our new Spectacular Stays program. We’re very excited to grow this offering for our engaged milestone travellers in 2019.”
Destinations to Watch for 2019
Unfamiliar land, open skies and few tourists – what more could you expect out of one of the most sparsely populated places in the world?
From the Great Steppe to the Gobi Desert, the vast natural surroundings of Mongolia offer a ton of adventure, and beg travellers to unplug and stay unplugged (something we heavily encourage).
The world’s fourth largest island feels more like an unexplored planet than an unchecked item on your bucket list.
This wondrous world has so much biodiversity to discover, both in terms of natural beauty and unique terrains. Its flora and fauna alone, with more than 90 per cent of the country’s wildlife endemic to Madagascar, is unbeatable.
B&R’s infatuation with South America is no secret: we’ve long had a strong network of guides and experts established in Peru and throughout Patagonia. From exploring adventurous routes along the Andes to immersion in cultural experiences well beyond Machu Picchu, we haven’t slowed down a bit.
Next year we’re offering new trips in South America, including:
Follow and Share with Jetsettersblog.