Butterfield & Robinson takes the road less travelled in Cape Town
B&R goes off the beaten track for active luxury experience with South Africa Biking
TORONTO, August 29, 2017 – As part of its New Trips for 2018, Butterfield & Robinson, the world’s premier active travel company, has introduced South Africa Biking, featuring luxurious natural lodgings and exceptional cycling. Bolstered by stunning sights and vantage points along the way, B&R’s new biking trip offers a glimpse into the dynamic cycling culture taking root around Cape Town with a focus on mountain biking and back road trails.
“We’ve designed a week of exhilarating active exploration on routes making up South Africa’s blossoming cycling scene,” Brad Crockett, B&R’s Director for Africa and Expeditions. “Our travellers will get a sense of the excitement around the growing culture, while staying in the region’s finest accommodations, all notable for their location, design and offering.”
Between excellent biking paired with food and wine tastings amongst exquisite scenery, travellers will stay in some of the world’s most unique natural settings, exposed to the Cape’s serene biodiversity.
Following a day of warmup riding along the trails below Table Mountain and a stay at Cape Grace Hotel, travellers will spend three nights at the Forest Lodge on Grootbos Nature Reserve. Botanical styling and architectural mastery are on display here with endless views of bordering reserves, cascading hills and the Indian Ocean. The final nights will be spent at Babylonstoren in the scenic Western Cape wine-growing region of Simondium. A traditional Dutch farm from the 17th century, the beautifully-preserved land is home to a stylish boutique hotel and working fruit and wine farm.
“Part of the joy in designing South Africa Biking is the re-discovery of old and new routes,” says Michele Harvey, native South African and long time B&R Trip Designer. “Since our first published trips here in 1996, the Western Cape area has become the biking capital of Africa and biking culture is taking off in this country.”
Globally famous for its cycling events, the Cape Epic is a staged mountain bike event that is nearly 15 years old, while the Cape Town Cycle Tour is the world’s largest individually-timed cycle race. B&R’s new South Africa Biking is leading travellers off the beaten track for a richer biking experience along the routes making up an electric biking scene on the Western Cape.
South Africa Highlights
- Private lunches and exclusive wine tastings take place before a backdrop of magnificent scenery including endless sea views to rolling hills with varying hues of colour and the region’s unique floral kingdom.
- Routes include a trek below Table Mountain to lookout points over the Atlantic Coast, venturing down into Constantia Valley to the Green Belts, cycling to Hermanus along a path wedged between a rugged mountain chain and the Indian Ocean, and undulating routes from road to jeep track to single track cycling..
- An optional Master class in mountain biking techniques in the historic Constantia wine-valley, as well as on and off-road biking in premier areas like Elgin Valley with well-maintained trails and jeep tracks through ancient oak forests, vineyards and apple orchards..
- Lunch on Creation Wine Farm, an award-winning vineyard noted for its originality and innovation in food and wine tastings..
Activity Level & Flexibility
- Recreational: South Africa Biking is appropriate for those who are comfortable on two wheels, with daily routes ranging from 20-35 km (12-21 mi.) a day. The terrain is undulating but will include the odd sharper incline and the option for some mountain biking as well.
- Route and bike options include a choice between fat biking the sand dunes of Walker Bay Reserve, or mountain biking Fynbos trail on Grootbos’ own private reserves.
- Cape Grace, Cape Town – Situated amongst a private quay and tucked away under Table Mountain, Cape Grace offers tranquility, stunning views of the Cape and a colourful respite from the trek to Africa.
- Grootbos Forest Lodge – Recognized as one of the most unique lodges in the world and set amidst the Cape’s unique biodiversity, the luxury accommodations modern and magnificent, yet have a strong focus on conservation and natural beauty.
- Babylonstoren, Simondium – With a working fruit and wine farm, as well as a strong culinary code based on farm to table produce, Babylonstoren’s stylish boutique hotel holds the comforts of luxury lodging among the backdrop of a 17th century Dutch farm.
- The 7 days / 6 nights South Africa Biking trip runs in October 2018 from US$7,495, with single supplements starting at $1,500.
- For more information or to download the itinerary, visit www.butterfield.com/trip/south-africa-biking.
About Butterfield & Robinson
As the world’s premier active travel company, Butterfield & Robinson has been designing incredible journeys in the world’s most amazing places for over 50 years. From the start, B&R has encouraged travellers to “Slow down to see the world,” executing itineraries focused on activity, adventure and cultural immersion for generations of travellers. With offices in Canada, France and Italy, B&R now offers 90 innovative itineraries in 60 destinations worldwide. For more information visitwww.butterfield.com.