Discover Britain’s hidden gems this summer with HF Holidays
Dramatic scenery, historic landmarks, an abundance of natural beauty and stunning accommodation: all things these four destinations have in common. With all four located off the beaten track you can discover Britain’s hidden gems this summer. Join HF Holidays on an adventure that will take you somewhere you’ve never been before.
1. Wales’ best kept secret: Dolgellau in Gwynned
Far from the madding crowd, deep in the Welsh speaking heartland lies this gem of a market town. An important centre for traditional Welsh music, its central location makes it the perfect starting point to explore the surrounding countryside. Discover the secrets of the valley on foot and make your way towards the impressive summit of Cadair Idris, visit Harlech Castle (of War of the Roses’ fame) and walk towards the Rhinog Mountains. Another local highlight is nearby Portmerion, the colourful Welsh town which was built in the style of an Italian village. Stay at Dolserau Hall, HF Holidays’ charming Victorian country house and depart on 5 July on a guided walking holiday for three nights from £309 per person (full board).
2. A quiet corner in a National Park: Newfield Hall in the Yorkshire Dales
Tucked away in a quiet corner of the Southern Yorkshire Dales is Newfield Hall. This remarkable country house is situated perfectly for those wanting to experience the local wildlife on foot. Visit the famous 80 m (260 ft) limestone cliffs of Malham Cove where you may be fortunate enough to see peregrine falcons in flight. Malhalm Tarn nature reserve is home to many rare species including the water vole. Impressive Gordale Scar, Bolton Abbey and Malhalm Tarn glacial lake are waiting to be visited – just let our HF Holidays’ walking guide lead the way. Depart on August 25 for seven nights from £749 per person (full board).
3. Delight in Whitby’s coastal charms
Whitby, with its medieval streets, ancient abbey and picturesque harbour, has oodles of charm. Stay at imposing Larpool Hall, a gorgeous Grade II listed Georgian house. Visit Roseberry Topping (Yorkshire’s Matterhorn), search for fossils along the beach to Robin Hoods bay or visit picturesque Staithes with its artists’ colony. Visitors can immortalise themselves in front of the famous whale bone arch and admire the view of the harbour, or savour local award-winning fish and chips. The glorious landscape of the North Yorkshire Moors National Park with its thousand shades of purple heather forms a beautiful backdrop to any walking route. Join HF Holidays on a self-guided walking break and depart on August 12 for four nights from £375 per person (full board).
4. A tale of two National Parks: Sedbergh and the Howgills Fells
Snuggled between the Lake District and the charming Yorkshire Dales lies the hidden beauty of the Howgills Fells. Stay at Thorns Hall, a beautiful Tudor house dating from 1535, which still retains its historic charm with wood-panelled rooms, fireplaces and a cobbled courtyard. Immerse yourself on a self-guided walking holiday in the stunning scenery of the Lune valley, Upper Swaledale and Wensleydale’s Wild Boar Fell. Local towns worth a visit include the quaint market town of Hawes and of course Sedbergh itself, famous for its book shops and arts and crafts industry. Depart on 26 July for three nights from £209 per person (full board).
Places are limited on these holidays so book now to avoid disappointment. For more information on HF Holidays, please visit www.hfholidays.co.uk or call 0345 470 7558.
- Founded in 1913, HF Holidays is a co-operative society that has been organising outdoor holidays for over 100 years.
- HF Holidays has 18 country houses in the UK’s National Parks and Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty as well as independent hotels for overseas holidays.
- HF Holidays has a host of accolades under its belt including: Feefo Gold Service Award in 2017, Which? Recommended Provider status for four successive years 2012 – 2015; voted Best Large Tour Operator by Guardian and Observer readers 2010-2014; and Best Large Short Break Operator 2011-2014.
- HF Holidays is committed to responsible tourism and is a member of ABTOT and ATOL protected.
- HF Holidays is the only UK holiday provider to hold a Gluten-Free Accreditation from Coeliac UK with all 18 of its country houses officially holding this GF accreditation.