Despite the credit crunch woes, there seems to be no sign of a drop in demand for exotic holidays this summer. And Latin America is no exception, with Journey Latin America’s best-selling holiday being its 18-night “Luxury Peru” tour. But we do seem to be booking later and all still love a bargain. Read on for Summer Offers and Late Space to Latin America – from boutique boltholes near Rio, or “women-only” cruises in the Galapagos, to classic highlights tours to Panama, Cuba and Peru.
* BEACH BLISS
1) Pousada Picinguaba, Costa Verde – BRAZIL
– Offer: SAVE £286 on a 6-night stay. Valid for travel 01 May – 31 July.
– Price: 6 nights from £709 per person + flights
A beautiful pousada located on a hill overlooking the tranquil fishing village of Picinguaba, four hours’ drive south west of Rio. A peaceful hideaway with 10 tastefully-decorated rooms, nice gardens with a pool and great views of the bay and surrounding Mata Atlantica coastal rainforest. Discover empty beaches and jungle waterfalls; take a boat trip to nearby islands or visit the colonial town of Paratí. The Paratí Literary Festival runs from 02 – 06 July.
2) EL Careyes, Manzanillo – MEXICO
– Offer: Stay 7 nights and pay for 6 (SAVE £197). Plus, enjoy a 20% discount at the restaurant, 10% off spa treatments and a free kayak and horse riding tour. Valid for travel in May.
– Price: 7 nights from £692 pp + flights.
This exclusive retreat is located on a relatively undeveloped stretch of Mexico’s beautiful Pacific coast; surrounded by cliffs, lush tropical vegetation and mountains. The 51 luxurious rooms are spacious and light, with suites having private balconies, Jacuzzi or plunge pool. Facilities include a pool, fitness centre, tennis court and an array of water sports. Combine a stay here with a visit to the colonial “silver” cities or the fascinating capital, Mexico City.
* INDIANA ADVENTURES
3) Coppola lodges, Mayan temples & Caribbean – GUATEMALA & BELIZE
– Offer: Book 8 nights at Coppola lodges and pay for 7 (SAVE £175). Plus, receive 1 free massage and a bottle of Sofia Coppola sparkling wine. Valid for travel from 01 Jun – 30 Nov.
– Price: 11-night itinerary from £1230 pp + flights.
With less than a month until the much-anticipated release of “Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull” (May 22); where better to head, for anyone looking to recreate their own Indiana adventures, than the lost Maya temples of Guatemala and Belize. And you can now do it style, exploring the rainforest-clad temples by day and staying in the comfort of luxury jungle lodges by night – owned by legendary film director, Francis Ford Coppola. Start your trip in the colonial town of Antigua, and end it in laid-back Placencia, on the Caribbean.
* WILDLIFE WONDERS
4) Pousada Aguapé, Iberá wetlands – ARGENTINA
– Offer: Save 20% on all bookings made before July (SAVE £116 for a 3-night stay).
– Price: 3 nights from £349 pp + flights.
Argentina’s answer to Brazil’s famous Pantanal, the Esteros del Iberá wetlands are located in the country’s north-east corner. The region is absolutely teeming with wildlife and yet it still remains amazingly undiscovered by foreign visitors. Head off on foot, horseback or by boat in search of caiman, capybaras, deer, monkeys and hundreds of species of birds. The ranch-style lodge offers simple accommodation, a pool and a good range of activities. Combine a stay here with the awesome Iguazú Falls, or visit to the ruined Jesuit Missions in the area.
* WOMEN ONLY
5) Galápagos “Women only” cruise – ECUADOR
– Summer departure: 24 August (7 nights) onboard the MV Letty, Eric or Flamingo.
– Price: 7-night cruise from £1742 pp + international flights (includes flights from Quito). No single supplement for those willing to share with other single.
The MVs Letty, Eric and Flamingo are compact yachts which offer comfortable cruising at the top of the “tourist-class” range. Each boat has 10 outside cabins distributed over 3 decks; contemporary interiors with polished teak features; a spacious sundeck and an excellent range of activities – from “onland” nature walks with guides, to snorkelling with sealions and rays off the boat. There are nine crew and two naturalist guides.
* CLASSIC TOURS
6) Inca heritage, Peru highlights in style – PERU
– Summer departures: 27 July and 03 August.
The classic highlights of Peru in 2 weeks and in comfort, with quality hotels throughout. From Arequipa, the Colca Canyon and Lake Titicaca; to Cusco, the Sacred Valley & Machu Picchu.
7) Rivers, rainforest & volcanoes – COSTA RICA & PANAMA
– Summer departures: 25 July and 22 August. – Price: from £2543 pp including all flights.
Cross from the Pacific to the Caribbean with a full-day transit of the incredible Panama Canal. Discover fairyland cloudforest and hummingbirds in Monteverde. Explore the wildlife-rich jungle creeks of Tortuguero; relax in hot springs under the smoking cone of Arenal volcano.
* ORIGINAL ADVENTURES
8) The Real Cuba, beyond the beach – CUBA
– Summer departure: 27 July.
– Price: 19 nights from £1098 pp + flights.
See the “real Cuba”, staying in and eating at local family homes. Travel from one end of the island to the other, with highlights including colonial Havana and Trinidad; revolution sites in Santa Clara; walking in the Sierra Maestra and exploring jungle rivers and hills near Baracoa.
– Price: 18 nights from £1648 pp + flights.
Note – special offers are only valid for 2008 travel dates as stated. Cost savings are quoted as a total discount per room. Prices are based on double occupancy and do not include international flights (unless stated otherwise). Inclusive prices with flights can be provided.
Follow and Share with Jetsettersblog.