Stay Active This Winter with Outdoor Recreation in Orange County
Hudson Valley terrain provides opportunities for outdoor winter fun
ORANGE COUNTY, N.Y. () – Even with the holidays behind us, there’s still plenty to look forward to this winter! Walk along one of the Hudson Valley’s picturesque hiking trails or embrace the thrill of jetting down a snow-covered mountain. No matter your preference, Orange County, N.Y. offers outdoor recreation activities that the whole family can enjoy.
Orange County Tourism’s staff recommends escaping to Orange County to enjoy the abundant splendor of the region’s landscapes. Make it a weekend getaway by staying at one of the county’s select hotels or cozy B&Bs while indulging in delicious cuisine from a nearby restaurant. From ice skating to skiing, Orange County is the perfect setting for your favorite winter activities.
Some great outdoor recreation opportunities in Orange County include:
- Thomas Bull Memorial Park, 211 State Route 416, Montgomery: Children at least 42” tall can participate in 90-minute snow tubing sessions on a hill with groomed lanes and rope tow. Tubing tickets are sold on a first come-first serve basis in-person at the front desk during operating hours. Lodge with restaurant, bar, stone fireplace and scenic views of the Shawangunk Mountains. Adjacent facilities for cross-country skiing, sledding and ice skating. Open weekends and holidays January 6 through March 4, 2018 (weather and conditions permitting).www.orangecountynyparks.com/thomas-bull-memorial-park/
- Mount Peter Ski Area, 51 Old Mount Peter Road, Warwick: Tubing, skiing, snowboarding, and lessons. 14 trails with 3 chairlifts, 1 carpet lift, 1 rope tow. 100% snowmaking. Night skiing. Rentals available. Free beginner lessons on weekends and holidays. Weekend and after-school programs. Café, pub, and 2 lodges. www.mtpeter.com
- Bear Mountain Ice Rink, Seven Lakes Drive, Bear Mountain: Public skating is available Mondays, Tuesdays, Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays during designated hours. The ice rink is also available for private rentals Wednesdays through Fridays from 8:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. and Sundays from 8:00 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. www.bearmountainicerink.com
- Juckas Stables, 1204 NY-302, Bullville: Horseback riding among the 117 acres of trails winding through the breathtaking, snow-covered Orange County countryside. Novice and seasoned riders will enjoy spending time with the gentle, responsive, and well-kept horses. Lessons are available to people of all abilities in addition to hiring horses by the hour. www.juckasstables.com
- Port Jervis Watershed Trails and Park, Elks-Brox Memorial Park, Port Jervis: More than 35 miles of hiking and biking trails. Visitors can explore the terrain through mountain biking, cross-country skiing, or snowshoeing. Beautiful views of NY, NJ, and PA. Family and pet-friendly. Open year round. Link to map on website. www.ocopj.org and www.portjervisny.org
Be sure to visit Orange County Tourism’s Facebook page: Orange County Tourism NY. It’s a fabulous guide to up-to-the-minute postings of area events and activities, great times, and memorable experiences available to visitors.
Also visit Orange County Tourism’s innovative and user friendly new website: www.orangetourism.org.
About Orange County Tourism
Orange County Tourism, based in Goshen, N.Y., is the county’s tourism headquarters and a participant in the I LOVE NY program. A comprehensive listing of area attractions, lodging, and events can be found at www.OrangeTourism.org. For a free copy of the Orange County Travel Guide, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call 845-615-3860.