Whether you want to take the family on a fun-filled holiday or you’re an adrenaline junkie seeking your next adventure – there’s a US road trip for everyone!
To help you find your perfect road trip, GoCompare.com has researched everything prospective road–trippers need to know – from the cost of fuel and accommodation for the trip, to distance travelled, including easy to read maps of each trip.
Some of the road trips include:
- San Juan Skyway: The ultimate journey across America’s Wild West taking in Old Western towns and picturesque national parks and peaks.
- Route 66: Beginning in Chicago and ending at Santa Monica Pier, this trip is ideal for explorers who crave a true taste of America, taking in plenty of popular sites on the way.
- The Pan-American Highway: The world’s longest driving route takes you from the Arctic to the Antarctic with a short break in the road at the rainforest area of the Darién Gap.
You can view the top 10 road trips here, and I’ve also included the full press release below.
Feel free to let me know if you have any questions.
Travelling the American Dream – The 10 US Road Trips to Beat All Road Trips
From the beaches of Big Sur to the famous Route 66 – GoCompare have pinpointed the ultimate bucket list of US road trips for anyone.
Whether you’re a thrill-seeking adrenaline junkie who can’t wait to raft down dangerous rapids, a music lover searching for the home of the blues or a sun-hunter looking to soak up the rays on some of America’s most picturesque beaches – there’s a US road trip for everyone. The question is, which is right for you?
To help you find your perfect road trip, GoCompare has gathered information on everything prospective road–trippers need to know – from the cost of van hire, fuel, food and accommodation for the recommended duration of the trip, to distance travelled, average temperature and even currency conversion rates.
Ready to fuel your Wanderlust? Check out the top 3 trips below:
Highways, Skyways and Byways to Heaven
The classic American road trip across America’s ‘Mother Road’ will take you from East to West covering some of the best cities in the US. Beginning in Chicago and ending at Santa Monica Pier, this trip is ideal for explorers who crave a true taste of America, taking in plenty of popular sites on the way. Some key stopping points include:
- St Louis, Missouri – Be sure to stop off at the Missouri Botanical Gardens, City Garden and the famous Gateway Arch. If you have time and you fancy a thrill there’s also the option to spend a day at Six Flags St. Louis.
- Albuquerque, New Mexico – Stop at Midpoint café, marking the midpoint of your Route 66 journey, on the way and then head into the city to enjoy the colourful hot air balloons above.
- The Grand Canyon – A staple for any bucket list, explore the awe-inspiring Grand Canyon before heading on to Las Vegas via the Hoover Dam.
- Las Vegas, Nevada – Set aside a few days for gambling, partying and even taking in a show or two in Sin City.
- Los Angeles, California – End the trip in the land of the stars – Los Angeles. Santa Monica Pier is the end of Route 66, providing the perfect opportunity to relax on the Baywatch style beaches before going on to discover the city of Angels.
Costing $4,269.76 and lasting a recommended 29 days, this is the second longest of any US Road Trip on our list and covers seven states. The length of the trip increases the overall cost as the prices of hotels, van hire and food rack up. As a result, accommodation alone will cost $1,736.37 for this epic cross-state adventure.
The Pan-American Highway
The daddy of all American road trips, the Pan-American Highway spans an impressive 48,000km and takes 281 days to complete. The world’s longest driving route takes you from the Arctic to the Antarctic with a short break in the road at the rainforest area of the Darién Gap. Some key stopping points include:
- Vancouver – One of Canada’s most densely populated and ethnically diverse cities, Vancouver has lots to explore for those interested in arts, science and culture. From Stanley Park, to the Lion’s Gate Bridge, Vancouver is worth dedicating a few days to.
- Darien Gap, Panama – The only part of the expansive road trip you can’t drive through. Yaviza offers access to the province, however, scenes of habitat destruction are evident. There are a number of issues in the region that make exploration not for everyone, however for travellers looking for a challenge the waterways and hiking trails offer an enticing adventure.
- Lima, Peru – The Peruvian capital is the oldest civilisation in America. The city offers museums, archaeological sites, beaches, nature reserves, nightlife and more to uncover.
- Santiago, Chile – One of the final stops on this epic journey, the capital of Chile offers the buzz of a metropolitan city with stunningly picturesque views across the Andes. Activities here include taking in museums, admiring grand architecture and exploring the pedestrian malls.
A road trip not for the faint of heart, the Pan-American Highway will cost you a whopping $38,815.63 but promises to be an unforgettable trip of a lifetime. Taking a recommended 281 days to complete with 248 driving days, this is a trip for the dedicated traveller.
You can view the top 10 best US road trips here.
“We wanted to find some of the biggest, most unforgettable road trips in the world,” said Matt Oliver, from Gocompare.com van insurance, “Each trip has its own personality – there are trips through snowy mountains, salt flats, dense forests and across beaches. There really is something for everyone. We wanted to provide a tool to make the adventures more accessible, so anyone can tackle them.”
Follow and Share with Jetsettersblog.