Are you working on any last-minute Memorial Day weekend travel/deal pieces?
With the holiday weekend quickly approaching, Florida invites travelers to kick off summer with the sun and surf. On behalf of VISIT FLORIDA, we’re thrilled to share our top recommendations for travel to the Sunshine state during the holiday weekend. From family-friendly activities on Amelia Island to infield camping at Daytona’s Country 500, Florida is home to a wide variety of fun-filled escapes to suit specific vacation needs. Perfect for a long weekend away, here are some of the best things to do for a Memorial Day getaway in Florida:
- COUNTRY 500 – Daytona continues its Memorial Day weekend tradition of infield camping, BBQ and lots of country music from some of the nation’s biggest stars. This year’s lineup includes Dierks Bentley, Toby Keith, Sugarland, 38 Special, Chris Stapleton and many more. Get up close and personal with some of the artists in the meet-and-greet stations set up in the Speedway garages.
When: May 25-27
Where: Daytona International Speedway, Daytona Beach
- VIETNAM TRAVELING MEMORIAL WALL — Take time to remember the soldiers who made the ultimate sacrifice on Memorial Day weekend with a visit to the 3/5ths-scale version of Vietnam Memorial. The traveling memorial of the Vietnam Monument in Washington D.C. is six feet tall and reaches almost 300 feet from end to end.
When: May 25-28
Where: Ocala-Marion County Veterans Memorial Park, Ocala
- 66th ANNUAL FLORIDA FOLK FESTIVAL — For more than 60 years, Florida’s folk artists, craftsmen and musicians have gathered along the banks of the Suwannee River where the Spanish moss drips from the live oak trees to celebrate Florida’s rich cultural history and traditions. Saturday nights headlining performance is titled the House of Cash: A historical and musical journey with John Carter Cash (We Must Believe in Magic), featuring Ana Cristina Cash (The Tough Love EP) and special guest Gailanne Amundsen.
When: May 25-27
Where: Stephen Foster State Park
- CLEARWATER BEACH – Not only is Clearwater Beach one of the top-ranked beaches in the country, but it’s an action-packed family-friendly destination year-round. While the white sand beaches will certainly be bustling with crowds on the holiday weekend, families will have plenty of activities to fill their itinerary, from the famous Pier 60 sunset celebrations to live concerts and special Memorial Day ceremonies. Downtown Clearwater will be hosting a free concert with local bands and food trucks, while those who want to honor our servicemen and women can lace up their tennis shoes and run the Honor Our Heroes 5K Run. Make sure not to miss the Memorial Day Sunset Ceremony at Largo Central Park, where a keynote speaker and wreath presentation honors our veterans.
When: May 26-28
- AMELIA ISLAND – One of Florida’s most treasured vacation family-friendly destinations, Amelia Island and nearby Fernandina Beach boast white sand beaches and a historic downtown area. With its compact size, days can be spent indulging in the area’s dining, shopping, and beach activities along its 13-mile coastline. Memorial Day weekend brings annual events to Amelia Island, including the St. Michael Academy Golf Classic and Buggies on the Beach. Perfect for those new to the area, participate in the Amelia Island Walk or go on one of the evening ghost tours to learn more about the history of the area.
When: May 26-28
For more information, please visit: www.VisitFlorida.com. Please let me know if you’re interested in covering or experiencing a press trip to Florida- happy to answer any questions and be an ongoing resource for the destination.