She began her career by working in restaurants around the world, then set up her own vegetarian catering company Culinary Arts, which soon aquired a famous clientele ranging from Paul and Linda McCartney to Annie Lennox. For five years she was Food Director of the prominent UK vegetarian restaurant group, Cranks.
Nadine now divides her time between London and Australia, where she runs cookery courses and promotes Australian art. She writes for magazines in both countries, including BBC Good Food and Delicious.
As a child Nadine spent time with her parents and grandparents in Casablanca.
You are invited to join Nadine on her rediscovery of her native Casablanca to the houses she stayed in, the ice cream shop where she used to go and the beachside restaurant where she ate sardines and shoestring chips!
Then journey with her to the spiritual capital Fes to cook in a secret garden, Marrakech to get into the atmosphere of the souks and visit designer workshops, artists’ studios and galleries.
Cook, fish and paint in Essaouira, and of course ride a camel.
Price AUD $8850 per person includes all accommodation, transport, meals, sightseeing with English speaking guides, cooking and art classes.
Please contact Carol Prior on 0415 637 985 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Numbers are limited to 12.
Boyd Gaming wishes to thank our veterans and active duty military personnel this Veterans Day by inviting them to dine for free all day at French Market Buffet at the Orleans, Ports O’ Call Buffet at Gold Coast, St. Tropez Buffet at Suncoast and Firelight Buffet at Sam’s Town Las Vegas. Just show a military ID or DD-214 and B Connected Card to enjoy a free breakfast, lunch or dinner buffet on Tuesday, November 11.
Take home up to $40,000 in the Avalanche of Cash Drawings in November at The Orleans, Gold Coast, Suncoast and Sam’s Town. Guests can earn entries by playing their favorite slots and table games and earning points with their B Connected card from Sunday, November 2 until Saturday, November 29. The progressive top drawing prize ranges from $5,000 up to $40,000. Saturday drawings will be held twice nightly on November 8, 15, 22 and 29 at all four properties. For complete rules, see the B Connected desk at participating properties. .
THE ORLEANS HOTEL & CASINO
4500 West Tropicana Avenue
Las Vegas, NV 89103
French Market Buffet will present special buffet items from 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. on Thanksgiving (November 27). Enjoy cider-glazed turkey, honey-baked Virginia ham, encrusted New York sirloin, rotisserie chicken, center-cut pork chops and trout almandine, along with other holiday staples and buffet favorites. $14.99 with B Connected card ($19.99 without).
Canal Street will offer two Thanksgiving prix fixe menu options from 2 p.m. to 9 p.m. Start with a crab-stuffed endive with blood orange and truffle oil, then choose either a roasted pumpkin bisque or winter harvest salad. Entrée selections include a holiday turkey feast for $26 or short rib and rosemary shrimp for $24. Finish with pumpkin cheese cake torte for dessert. The regular menu will also be served.
Prime Rib Loft will offer two Thanksgiving prix fixe menu options from 2 p.m. to 10 p.m. Start with white bean and kalamata olive bruschetta, then select a Loft salad or butternut squash soup. Entrée selections include traditional turkey dinner for $26 or filet mignon and jumbo crab-stuffed shrimp for $32. Finish the meal with pumpkin pie. The regular menu will also be served.
Big Al’s Oyster Bar will serve a three-course Thanksgiving menu item from 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. Start with a cup of Boston or Manhattan clam chowder; enjoy Big Al’s Seafood Boil as your entrée and finish with pumpkin pie for dessert. Get it for $21. The regular menu will also be served.
Courtyard Café will serve a traditional turkey dinner, holiday baked ham dinner or crab-stuffed rainbow trout dinner for $12.99. Each includes a soup or salad and dessert. The regular menu will also be served.
GOLD COAST HOTEL AND CASINO
4000 West Flamingo Road
Las Vegas, NV 89103
Monday Senior Bonus Days are more fun for guests 50 and over! Earn 10x points on reels and 5x points on video poker; a free entry into the weekly $2,500 Video Poker Tournament (held 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. on Thursdays); and play bingo with a free Bingo blue pack! Must be a B Connected member to get these great deals. Come back on Wednesday to enjoy the perks of being Young at Heart at Boyd Gaming properties across the Las Vegas Valley.
Thanksgiving is the day to play Bingo with the $500 Gobble Ball! Win on anything ending with “1” in all sessions and get a $500 bonus on top of the regular game prize payout.
Cortez Room will offer a prix fixe two-course Thanksgiving menu from 1 p.m. to 9 p.m. on Thanksgiving. Start with harvest winter soup, pumpkin bisque or holiday salad; enjoy a roasted turkey dinner for $27 or pan-seared lamb chops for $38. Add on a special seasonal dessert of classic apple or pumpkin pie for $7 or brown sugar-glazed pumpkin crème brule for $9. The regular menu will also be served.
SUNCOAST HOTEL AND CASINO
9090 Alta Drive
Las Vegas, NV 89145
The $38,000 Bingo Weekend means you win big at Suncoast Bingo on Saturday, November 8 and Sunday, November 9! Enjoy double and triple pay at the 7 p.m. session. Four lucky winners will take home $1,000 for a coverall – guaranteed! At the 9 p.m. session, 15 players will take home $1,000 if they are playing on a $15 pack.
Cash Time $20,000 Video Reel Slot Tournaments will be held every Tuesday in November from noon to 3 p.m. and 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. Win up to $1,500 per session with 15 winners each day. Get entries with points earned on slot or video poker, then swipe at a kiosk to get your entry ticket.
St. Tropez Buffet is offering an unlimited lunch buffet in November for only $7.99 on Monday through Saturday from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Enjoy all your favorite delicious items for a low prize. $7.99 for B Connected members; price without B Connected Card is $12.99.
The $15,000 Table Games Electronics Drawing will be held every Friday in November at 7 p.m. and 9 p.m. Start earning entries on Sunday, November 2 by playing your favorite table games and collecting stamps on your drawing ticket. Forty winners will take home a 50” TV, Best Buy® Gift Card, Microsoft Surface™ tablet or $300 in cash.
Café Siena will offer special Thanksgiving entrée choices of roast turkey with apple-pecan cornbread dressing, baked ham with peach glaze and sautéed rainbow trout. Each dish comes accompanied with potatoes and vegetables and a choice of dessert: pumpkin pie, pecan pie or apple pie. Get all this for $14.99.
SC Prime will offer a Thanksgiving Day prix fixe menu, starting with chicken and sweet potato chowder or Boston Bibb lettuce wedge; entrees include traditional roast turkey for $28.95, grilled Alaskan salmon for $29.95 or smoked pork loin medallions for $28.95. Finish the meal with either pumpkin cheesecake or an apple tart.
SAM’S TOWN HOTEL & GAMBLING HALL
5111 Boulder Highway
Las Vegas, NV 89122
Sam’s Town is the Locals Place to Play with 20x points on “Buffalo” machines, 11x points on slots and 7x points on video poker on Fridays and Sundays in November. Additionally, every Tuesday, 500 local Sam’s Town guests will win a free buffet. Swipe at a kiosk on Tuesdays to reveal your prize.
Earn Free Slot Dollars on Thursdays through Sundays in November. Play your favorite machines and earn bonus Slot Dollars for use the following day. For every 500 base points earned, receive $5 in bonus Slot Dollars – up to $50 per day.
At Willy & Jose’s Mexican Cantina, enjoy the November margarita of the month: the Cranberry Margarita. This tart and tasty drink features EXODO Lime tequila, fresh cranberries and orange liqueur. Get it for only $7 during the month of November.
Enjoy a traditional holiday dinner on Thanksgiving at both Billy Bob’s Steakhouse and Willy & Jose’s for only $20. From 3 p.m. to closing, get tender roast turkey with gravy and cranberry sauce, including side dish choices of oyster dressing, cornbread stuffing, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, chateau potatoes, fresh asparagus, vegetables or Brussel sprouts. Meal includes soup or salad to start and pie for dessert. Get it for $20.
CALIFORNIA HOTEL AND CASINO
12 East Ogden Avenue
Las Vegas, NV 89101
Market Street Café will serve traditional roast turkey or ham steak with fruit sauce dinner on Thanksgiving for $11.99.
Redwood Bar and Grill will serve a Thanksgiving prix fixe menu option for $25, which includes entrée choices of roast turkey, baked ham or pan-seared sea bass, all accompanied with sides and dessert.
MAIN STREET STATION CASINO BREWERY HOTEL
200 North Main Street
Las Vegas, NV 89101
Garden Court Buffet will serve all your Thanksgiving favorites with Garden Court classics like oxtail stew from 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. $15.99 with B Connected card, $17.99 without.
Triple 7 will serve a traditional roast turkey or baked ham dinner with all the trimmings and dessert for $12.99.
FREMONT HOTEL AND CASINO
200 Fremont Street
Las Vegas, NV 89101
Paradise Café will serve Thanksgiving entrees roast turkey, salmon Florentine or roasted lamb chops, all for $13.99.
Paradise Buffet will serve a special Thanksgiving buffet with holiday favorites and buffet staples from 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. for $13.99 with a B Connected Card ($14.99 without). Special dishes include Cornish game hen coq au vin, lamb chops Seville and roasted pork loin.
Second Street Grill will offer a prix fixe three-course Thanksgiving meal of herb-roasted turkey with all the fixings for $27 or herb-crusted prime rib for $29. Both dishes include choice of soup or salad and a chef’s special dessert.
Bill Engvall Brings His Comedy Routine to Treasure Island During the Wrangler National Finals Rodeo – December 5 and 12October 30, 2014 on 11:31 am | In comedy, Gaming Resorts, Las Vegas, Webbandstand | Comments Off
Las Vegas—Following a successful engagement in October, Bill Engvall brings his trademark comedy back to the Treasure Island Theatre December 5 and 12, each evening at 9 p.m. during Wrangler National Finals Rodeo (WNFR) week.
Engvall was one of the finalists on the popular fan-voted ABC show “Dancing With the Stars” with partner Emma Slater last year. He formerly hosted “Country Fried Home Videos” on CMT and “Lingo” on the Game Show Network; starred in and served as executive producer for “The Bill Engvall Show” on TBS; and provided the voice to one of the four main characters on CMT’s first-ever animated project, “Bounty Hunters.”
He was a member of the “Blue Collar Comedy” troupe and has starred in “Blue Collar TV,” “Blue Collar Comedy Tour: The Movie,” “Blue Collar Comedy Tour Rides Again” and “Blue Collar Comedy Tour: One for the Road” alongside fellow comedians Jeff Foxworthy, Larry the Cable Guy and Ron White.
Engvall and fellow comedian Gary Brightwell are daily hosts of “Off the Cuff with Bill Engvall” on Sirius/XM’s Blue Collar Radio.
Earlier this year, he released his eleventh comedy album, “Ultimate Laughs,” and completed filming of the television movie “Do It Yourself.”
Engvall earned a career break-through when he earned the title of Best Male Stand-up Comedian at the 1992 American Comedy Awards. His first album, “Here’s Your Sign,” reached No. 5 on the U.S. Billboard Top Country Albums list in 1997.
Tickets are available starting at $59.95, plus taxes and service charges, and can be purchased by calling 866-712-9308 or 702-894-7722, or visiting www.treasureisland.com
About Treasure Island
Treasure Island on the Las Vegas Strip is a privately owned hotel and casino and stands alone as the only major Strip property to claim that unique market position. Boasting nearly 3,000 guest rooms, Treasure Island is a world-class destination for headline entertainment and Mystère, the classic Cirque du Soleil performance that combines the powerful athleticism, high-energy acrobatics and inspiring imagery that have become the company’s hallmark. Upscale and casual dining choices, hip nightspots and indulgent spa and shopping experiences further complement the one-of-a-kind Treasure Island guest experience. For information visit www.treasureisland.com , https://www.facebook.com/TIvegas or follow the property on Twitter @TIVegas.
· Gift cards at some of the newest restaurants in town make for a great “dine around” gift –
Whether you spice up the holidays with a Mercadito gift card for loved ones to enjoy the signature guacamole, ceviches, award-winning tacos and more (available in denominations $25 – 400 and sold online at www.MercaditoHospitality.com ) or give them a little French flair at db Brasserie – a gift card to db goes great with a copy of one of Chef Daniel Boulud’s books. Purchase the book Sat. Nov 15 between 3-6 p.m. and Chef Boulud will be onsite to sign!
· Tired of stale fruitcake? Who isn’t?! Gimme Some Sugar Bake Shoppe in Henderson features a fresh, seasonal menu of desserts including cakes, cheesecakes, cake pops, cupcakes, cookies, tarts, and an assortment of their oversized signature macarons in sweet and savory fun flavors. Select vegan and gluten free items are also available daily. Stop by to pick up treats to go or stay and pair your dessert with their tasty selection of champagne, specialty wines and craft beers in addition to coffees, teas and sipping chocolate. Special orders and gift cards are also available.
· Hash House A Go Go brings farm-fresh food with a funky, modern twist to food lovers. The well-known restaurant is famous for its unusual décor and enormous portions. In addition to placing 8th overall in the World Food Championships “Best Burger” category in 2013, the restaurant has garnered dozens of local and national accolades and has been featured on the Food Network, “Martha Stewart,” “Rachael Ray” and most recently, the popular Travel Channel program, “Man v. Food.”
· Elizabeth Blau & Kim Canteenwalla dine around! Not familiar with the culinary power duo?! They are the minds behind so many fantastic restaurants in town including the west side’s Honey Salt, newly opened Made L.V. and with their partner Buddy “the Cake Boss” Valastro’s Buddy V’s Ristorante at the Venetian. Enjoy this talented groups grub with a gift card to each restaurant.
· Terry Fator has been entertaining the city and its visitors for more than five years at The Mirage and for fans, a copy of Fator’s new DVD “Terry Fator: Live in Concert” features his 2012 version of the Las Vegas show and makes a great gift. Pair it with tickets to the show for an even bigger impact!
· Four-time GRAMMY Award®-winning R&B vocal group Boyz II Men has extended its residency at The Mirage Hotel & Casino into 2015. The trio continues to perform in the Terry Fator Theatre on select dates in 2015. Tickets for performances scheduled January through May are available now at www.mirage.com. Pick up their latest studio album release, Collide, available now. Guys, this makes a great gift for that special lady in your life!
· The amazing Carlos Santana has announced dates for his intimate House of Blues residency through May 2015. The guitar great also just realized a memoir “The Universal Tone: Bringing My Story to Light” which makes a great accompanying gifts with tickets to the live performance.
· For the family friendly! Dedicated to thrilling audiences with spectacular illusions while increasing awareness for preserving wildlife and the environment, master magician Dirk Arthur stars in a new show at the Starlite Theatre inside the Riviera Hotel & Casino, Dirk Arthur’s Wild Illusions! In this fast-paced show, breathtaking big cat magic is interwoven with comedy, beautiful dancers and large-scale effects. Dirk Arthur’s Wild Illusions! is set to open on Monday, Dec. 1 and will run Saturday through Thursday at 7 p.m. (dark Fridays). Tickets are available now at www.ticketmaster.com or by calling 800-634-3420.
· Another family friendly gift idea…Disney is bringing an all-star lineup of your favorite characters to the ice in a sensational live production. Disney On Ice presents Let’s Celebrate!, presented by YoKids Organic Yogurt. Join Mickey Mouse, Minnie Mouse, Donald and Goofy as they celebrate holidays and festivities throughout the year around the globe with your favorite Disney characters. This new ice spectacular visits Las Vegas from January 14 – January 18, 2015 for eight performances at Thomas & Mack Center. Opening night tickets start at just $10 and make for the perfect holiday gift for the little prince or princess in your life!
· Concert tickets!!! You can never go wrong with giving concert tickets to an upcoming show and with the fabulous venues in town from The Pearl at Palms Casino Resort to the multitude of venues at any Station Casinos property, there is music from every genre to explore! A great stand out – master blues musician Joe Bonamassa coming for two days in May to The Pearl – pair the tickets with his brand new studio album that was recorded at Studio at the Palms!
· For some old school entertainment, The Riviera provides the feeling of going back to the great days of the Strip. Shows like Forever Motor City and Forever Doo Wop take a trip back in time, Crazy Girls brings the heat and 40 Is Not The New 20 will have baby boomers rolling in the aisles!
· The Knuttel Gallery, located in the Grand Canal Shoppes at Venetian|Palazzo Las Vegas, exclusively exhibits the work of the “Irish Picasso” Graham Knuttel – including all of his new paintings, sculptures, tapestries, limited editions and items from his Tipperary Collection – an affordable way to have a little Knuttel in one’s life! Knuttel also is offering pet lovers the opportunity of a lifetime…for a cost! A commissioned painting of their pet. If money is no object when it comes to the pet lover in one’s life, memorialize the precious pup, cuddly cat or even loveable lizard in a lap of true luxury. Knuttel is known for capturing the spirit of the most discerning cats, dogs, horses, birds and even sheep, in his sculptures and paintings and now fans can commemorate their pet by the master artist. Private sittings begin at $25,000 and packages can be customized with wardrobe styling, a hair and accessories artist, a playroom equipped with choice of toys, on-site catering specialized to meet the dietary needs of the pampered pooch or coddled kitten and more.
· The World Famous Gold & Silver Pawn, home of HISTORY’s Pawn Stars also has lots of gift options; whether you are looking for a unique gift item in the shop, including their exclusive line of Gold & Silver designed rings, or you can hit the show’s swag section and pick up an Old Man bobble head or a Chumlee t-shirt!
· And for those who simply want for nothing, give them the gift of giving and make a donation on their behalf to one of the city’s various charities including Easter Seals and JDRF!
For over 15 years, the dulcet tones of Blues legend Dana Gillespie, have been floating into the Caribbean night sky at The Mustique Blues Festival. Big Jay McNeely, Mick Jagger, Ronnie Wood, Veronica Darling, Nigel Kennedy, Earl Green and many more have stepped up to microphone after a day on the beach at one of the most unique, personal and exclusive music events in the world.
Grammy nominated Shamekia Copeland and Zac Harmon will be joining Dana and her house band to head the line up so far…
The Cotton House, the islands chic boutique hotel is the perfect bolthole for your stay. Breezy, colonial style bedrooms are scattered amongst the palms of immaculate Caribbean gardens giving way to a perfect beach and glistening seas. The elegant Verandah Restaurant offers tantalizing cuisine with a Caribbean twist whilst The Beach Café gives guests the opportunity enjoy ‘feet in the sand’ dining and a mouthwatering selection of lobster, ceviche and exotic salads topped off with homemade ice creams and sorbets.
As the sun sets on another perfect day, guests can make their way to world famous Basils Bar*, indulge in a sundowner and listen to the mesmerizing music of world famous Blues players, set against the bewitching backdrop of this magical island..
Where to stay?
Red Savannah offer 7 nights at The Cotton House Hotel in a Garden Cottage, from £2,500 per person based on 2 sharing on a bed and breakfast basis. This price includes, flights, transfers and accommodation from London Gatwick to Mustique via Barbados. For further information and reservations please call Red Savannah on (0)1242 787 800 or visit www.redsavannah.com
A pop up ‘Basils’ ran at The Goring for the Royal Wedding celebrations in 2011 and Basil himself, was the Ambassador for St Vincent and The Grenadines at the UK’s Olympic Games.
Saga fast becoming No.1 choice for literary cruising
Baroness Rendell of Babergh will be headlining Saga’s Meet-the-Author series on Saga Sapphire’s Baltic Treasures cruise in May 2015.
Lady Rendell, who is celebrating the 50th anniversary of crime writing career, will take part in a Q & A session with passengers who will each receive a copy of her new novel The Girl Next Door.
The best-selling novelist travels the world but has chosen Saga for her first luxury cruise. She said: “I never usually take holidays but this one looked rather nice.
“I have been to most of the destinations, particularly Sweden and Denmark, many, many times but I like going to places I know.”
Lady Rendell has family links to Scandinavia; her mother came from Sundbyberg, near Stockholm, and lived there until she was three. She moved from Sweden to Denmark and at 14, when her parents brought her to England.
Sailing through the Stockholm archipelago is widely regarded as one of cruising’s ‘must-do’ experiences and this will be another first for the author. She said: “I have been all over Sweden and I know the islands well but I have never arrived by sea. I am looking forward to that.”
Lady Rendell, 84, admits she does not have sea legs. “Get me onto the open sea, on any vessel, and I am seasick. I will happily take one of those tablets to help me!”
About 20 years ago, the author sailed on an expedition ship to Alaska and has not stepped foot on a ship since. She said: “It was a bit primitive. The cabin was cold and uncomfortable, although it did have a shower but that more or less flooded every time.
“We almost ran out of food, too. I can remember the smell of the fruit rotting.”
“Sailing on Saga Sapphire will be quite a contrast.”
Lady Rendell will be in for a pleasant surprise when she steps on to the chic and contemporary Saga Sapphire. The 700-passenger ship has earned a reputation for fine dining, professional service and comfortable accommodation. The public areas are roomy and there is a sense of fun with a British 60s seaside theme at the poolside, where passenger can tuck in to ice cream, fish ‘n’ chips and an old-fashioned sweet shop.
Saga Travel PR Manager, Louis Myers said: “We are thrilled to be welcoming Ruth Rendell on board, particularly during the 50th anniversary of her incredible career. We are sure Saga passengers will enjoy meeting one of the UK’s most respected authors and hearing about her amazing career.
“Saga is fast becoming the No. 1 cruise choice for book lovers. Jonathan Coe (The Rotters’ Club and Expo 58) has just returned from a Meet-the-Author cruise on Saga Pearl II and he went down a treat!”
The Saga Sapphire Baltic Treasures cruise sails from Southampton for 16 nights on May 6, 2015,
price from £2879. Ports of call include Ronne, Denmark; Stockholm, Sweden; Helsinki, Finland;
St Petersburg overnight stay; Tallin and Saaremaa, Estonia; Riga, Latvia; Warnermunde, Germany; Ijmuiden, Holland. The ship will sail through the Kiel Canal on the outward and return journey.
Price includes VIP chauffeur service all meals and entertainment, free wifi, daily afternoon tea,
24-hour room service, welcome cocktail party, unlimited quality tea and coffee, all gratuities, porterage, shuttle bus to town centres from port of call and travel insurance and cancellation cover.
For details call free on 0800 056 8986 or visit www.travel.saga.co.uk/Ocean-Cruises
Ford’s Theatre Society announced that a hallmark museum exhibition, Silent Witnesses: Artifacts of the Lincoln Assassination, will return a priceless collection of items that were in the theatre or carried by Abraham Lincoln the night of his assassination, to the Center for Education and Leadership from 23 March to 25 May, 2015. The Center is located directly opposite Ford’s Theatre.
The exhibition will coincide with the 150th anniversary of Lincoln’s assassination and death 14-15 April, 2015.
Included within the Silent Witnesses exhibition are:
Abraham Lincoln’s top hat, cuff links, Brooks Brothers Great Coat and the contents of his pockets from the night of the assassination
Mary Todd Lincoln’s black velvet cape
John Wilkes Booth’s deringer pistol
A letter from Dr. Charles Leale, the first to attend to the wounded president
The Bunting Flag from the Presidential Box at Ford’s Theatre
Fragments from the gowns worn by Mary Todd Lincoln and guest Clara Harris
Gloves belonging to Major Henry Rathbone
A bloody sleeve cuff and fragment from the costume worn by leading actress Laura Keene
A playbill for the performance of Our American Cousin
A violin and drumsticks used in the orchestra the night of 14 April 1865.
Lenders for Silent Witnesses include the Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library and Museum; Chicago History Museum; Library of Congress; National Museum of American History; National Park Service; Pike County Historical Society; Shapell Manuscript Foundation; Studebaker National Museum; and historian James Swanson.
Additionally, Lincoln’s carriage, which transported the President, Mary Todd Lincoln, Major Henry Rathbone and his fiancée Clara Harris to Ford’s Theatre, will be on display at the National Museum of American History, 23 March to 25 May 2015.
“As we approach the 150th anniversary of Lincoln’s assassination and remember the tremendous impact that his leadership and death had on our nation, we are proud to partner with the National Museum of American History, museums across the nation and with our colleagues at the National Park Service, to bring this extraordinary collection of artifacts under one roof,” said Ford’s Theatre Director Paul R. Tetreault.
“By seeing these remarkable items up close and reading the personal accounts of those who were present at the assassination, we hope visitors will better understand the humanity of an American icon and how this tragedy changed the course of our history”, added Tetreault.
Capacity for Silent Witnesses: Artifacts of the Lincoln Assassinationis limited. Advance daytime tickets to Silent Witness are included with the purchase of an Acoustiguide audio tour. A limited number of free day-of tickets will be available at the Ford’s Theatre Box Office on a first-come basis for extended viewing hours on Thursday evenings from 7 p.m. to 8 p.m. Reservations for groups (15 or more) may now be reserved through the Ford’s Theatre Group Sales office at www.fords.org/groups. Advance tickets are also available to Ford’s Theatre members through the Membership Hotline at (202) 434-9454. Advance tickets will be available to the general public on October 20 at 10 a.m. Ticketmaster fees apply. www.fords.org/event/silent-witnesses
Silent Witnesses is part of Ford’s 150: Remembering the Lincoln Assassination, a series of special events and programming marking 150 years since Lincoln’s assassination at Ford’s Theatre on 14 April 1865.
Additional programming includes: the world-premiere play The Widow Lincoln; the musical Freedom’s Song: Abraham Lincoln and the Civil War; The Lincoln Tribute, an around-the-clock event on April 14 and 15 marking Lincoln’s shooting and death; performances of the Society’s one-act plays One Destiny and The Road From Appomattox; History on Foot walking tours; a series of free panel discussions featuring historians and scholars; Remembering Lincoln, an online collection of personal reactions and artefacts showcasing the response to Abraham Lincoln’s death; and more.
A full programming schedule will be announced in January 2015.
For more information on the Ford’s Theatre exhibition, visit www.fords.org/event/silent-witnesses
To find out more about Washington, D.C and the Capital Region USA, visit www.CapitalRegionUSA.co.uk
Regionally, tourism in London is clearly booming as it tops the list with visits to attractions up by 8% in 2013, followed by the North East (up 6%) and the East Midlands (up 5%), indicating the important role of England’s attractions in enticing people to explore England outside of London.
The Tower of London remains the most visited attraction in the paid for category with 2.9 million visits – an increase of 18.4% on last year, followed by St Pauls Cathedral with 2.1 million visits and Westminster Abbey with 1.8 million visits.
As seen in previous years, many of the most-visited paid for attractions were part of England’s rich history and heritage, such as Stonehenge, Houses of Parliament & Big Ben, the Roman Baths and Tatton Park – however, wildlife parks and gardens also performed well.
The British Museum marked its sixth consecutive year as the most-visited free attraction in England with 6.7 million visitors, followed by the National Gallery, Natural History Museum and Tate Modern. Across the country, the most visited free attractions regionally include Durham Cathedral, the National Railway Museum in York, the Museum of Liverpool and Bristol Museum and Art Gallery, all making the list of twenty most visited free attractions in their regions.
So what are they and how many have you visited?
20 MOST VISITED FREE ATTRACTIONS IN ENGLAND
1. British Museum – London
2. National Gallery – London
3. Natural History Museum – London
4. Tate Modern – London
5. Brighton Pier – South East
6. Science Museum – London
7. Victoria and Albert Museum, South Kensington – London
8. National Portrait Gallery – London
9. Old Royal Naval College – London
10. British Library – London
11. National Maritime Museum – London
12. Tate Britain – London
13. Bristol Museum & Art Gallery – South West
14. National Railway Museum – Yorkshire & Humberside
15. mac Birmingham – West Midlands
16. Museums Sheffield: Millennium Gallery – Yorkshire & Humberside
17. Museum of Liverpool – North West
18. Ashmolean Museum – South East
19. Durham Cathedral – North East
20. Avenham and Miller Park – North West
21. World Museum Liverpool – North West
20 MOST VISITED PAID FOR ATTRACTIONS IN ENGLAND
1. Tower of London – London
2. St Paul’s Cathedral – London
3. Westminster Abbey – London
4. Flamingo Land Theme Park and Zoo – Yorkshire & Humberside
5. Chester Zoo – North West
6. Windermere Lake Cruises, Bowness – North West
7. Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew Gardens – London
8. ZSL London Zoo – London
9. Stonehenge – South West
10. Houses of Parliament and Big Ben – London
11. Royal Academy of Arts – London
12. Canterbury Cathedral – South East
13. Roman Baths – South West
14. RHS Garden Wisley – South East
15. Eden Project – South West
16. Tatton Park – North West
17. Royal Observatory Greenwich – London
18. Portsmouth Historic Dockyard – South East
19. Cadbury World – West Midlands
20. Chatsworth House – East Midlands
Notes to Editors
The VisitEngland Annual Attractions Survey is carried out by BDRC-Continental and is based on a survey of 1,568 England visitor attractions that provided visit figures for both 2012 and 2013.
VisitEngland operates the Visitor Attractions Quality Scheme (VAQAS). The scheme boasts a reputation for instigating, modifying and shaping change to the customer experience at visitor attractions across England. Areas covered by the annual assessment include pre-arrival information, the website, journey planning, signage, welcome on arrival, toilets, catering and retail outlets. The scheme currently has over a thousand members.
More information can be found on www.visitengland.org and www.visitengland.com
VisitEngland is the country’s national tourist board. We work in partnership with the industry to develop the visitor experience across England, plan national tourism strategy, grow the value of tourism in England and provide advocacy for the industry and our visitors. Our work is underpinned by robust research and customer insights. You can access the latest in-depth market intelligence and statistics on www.visitengland.org/insight-statistics.
England is a unique destination and a real powerhouse in global tourism. It represents 84 per cent of the total UK visitor economy, is worth £106 billion, and supports 2.6 million jobs.
For corporate information see www.visitengland.org and for consumer information see www.visitengland.com.
Sandals Resorts and Beaches Resorts are enticing couples to say ‘I do” at any of the Luxury Included® resorts in Jamaica, Saint Lucia, Antigua, the Bahamas, Turks and Caicos, Grenada or Barbados with an exclusive offer and new WeddingMoon® inclusions. Guests who book a minimum three-night stay or longer at any resort will receive a free Beautiful Beginnings wedding, now inclusive of even more complimentary amenities including a 35-minute massage for the groom and a manicure for the bride at the exclusive Red Lane® Spa.
All Sandals and Beaches Wedding Couples receive:
• A personal pre-travel wedding planner
• Personal resort wedding planner and dedicated resort wedding team
• Preparation of marriage documents
• Musical accompaniment
• Witnesses upon request
• Reception with sparkling wine and cold hors d’oeuvres for the bride, groom and up to six guests
• Wedding gift
• Free wedding website and gift registry
• Decorated honeymoon room
• Mimosa breakfast-in-bed to kick of their honeymoon
• NEW: Manicure for bride
• NEW: 35 minute massage for groom
• Honeymoon dinner at a resort specialty restaurant with white-glove service and a complimentary bottle of sparkling wine
• Complimentary 5″x7″ honeymoon photo and more
Further to the fantastic inclusions above, couples looking for that true Caribbean experience can now choose to marry on the stunning private off-shore islands located at both Sandals Royal Caribbean and Sandals Royal Bahamian for no extra cost!These locations, which offer trulybreath-taking backdrops are now complimentary as part of Sandals’ incredible complementary wedding inclusions.
What’s more, Sandals and Beaches Resorts have recently introduced a new $1,500 WeddingMoons® Credit Offer*. Altar-bound couples who book a stay of six nights or longer in any room category will not only receive the existing $500 Wedding Credit offer and $500 Bonus Credit, but will also receive an additional $500 credit towards their very own Amoro for Sandals jewellery. Couples will be able to choose from a wide selection of exclusive and exquisite pieces to match everyone’s own personal style, as well as use the customisation tools to design wedding bands, tennis bracelets, and more!
Sandals and Beaches Resorts cater for wedding groups of all sizes, and so have also introduced an array of amazing offers for those looking to travel as part of a larger group. Highlights include a complimentary room for every five paid rooms and one complimentary butler upgrade for every 12 rooms booked.
Offers subject to certain restrictions. For more information please call Agency Sales on 0207 590 0210 or visit www.sellingsandals.co.uk
As Strictly Come Dancing hits the screens this weekend and the nation thinks about polishing its cha cha cha, P&O Cruises has released a video of its Strictly themed cruises with details and prices for holidays next year.
The three-minute video shows Craig Revel Horwood giving an insight into the glitz and glamour of the Strictly themed cruises. To view it, please visit P&O Cruises YouTube page or click on the following link: http://youtu.be/AoZpQV29hcM
In 2015, P&O Cruises has four dedicated Strictly Come Dancingthemed cruise, in partnership with BBC Worldwide Ltd – including a cruise on brand new ship Britannia during the school summer holidays.
Each cruise will have two pairs of the programme’s professional dancers as well as an outspoken judge and special celebrity guest to offer a Strictly experience to remember.
Regular dance classes will be on offer throughout the cruise and passengers can participate in a dance competition, with the grand finale performances taking place in the main theatre, moderated by the judge and celebrity guest.
The Strictly stars will give up close and personal interviews on board, photo opportunities and signing sessions, and official Strictly Come Dancing performances produced by BBC Worldwide. A stunning selection of costumes from the television show will also be on display around the ship, with organised fashion events to showcase them at their very best.
Strictly Come Dancing themed cruises for 2015 include:
A 14-night cruise to Portugal, Gibraltar & Spain on Aurora departing April 23, 2015. Select Prices from £1,179 per person.
A14-night cruise to Portugal, Monaco & Italy on Ventura departing May 28, 2015. Select Prices from £1,249 per person
A 14 night cruise to Scandinavia, Russia & Estonia on Azura departing June 20, 2015. Select Prices from £1,399 per person.
A 14-night cruise to the Canary Islands & Iberia on Britannia departing July 25, 2015. Select Prices start from £1,599 per person. **Book before October 31, 2014 to receive £220 on board spending money per cabin
To book, contact P&O Cruises on 0843 374 0111 / www.pocruises.com or visit your local travel agent.
Next Page »