Top 5 Reasons Why Families Choose Eureka Springs AR for Spring Break
As spring approaches, so do spring breaks. And now is the time to start planning –and booking early- for a most memorable several days. A popular destination for families in mid-America is a little village in the southern Ozarks region: Eureka Springs, Arkansas. Here are five reasons why…
1) Proximity – Eureka Springs, located in Northwest Arkansas, is less than a half-day’s drive from such key metropolitan areas as Oklahoma City, Tulsa, Kansas City, Springfield MO, Little Rock AR and all points in the vicinity of these larger cities. Gas is saved; frayed nerves avoided from hearing the incessant “Are we there yet?”; and the best part, more time at the destination rather than being in transit.
2) Activity – Eureka Springs has numerous family-oriented attractions and activities in both the city limits and those just outside of town.
>Ozark Mountain Ziplines – experience the exhilarating thrill of a Zip Line Canopy Tour right in the heart of the beautiful, pristine Arkansas Ozarks. Soar through the air from up to 300+ feet high with cable lengths from up to 2,000 feet long over vast, gorgeous, spreads of hardwood trees and limestone cliffs. A nature filled experience guaranteed to satisfy thrill seeking families from all walks of life.
>Turpentine Creek Wildlife Refuge – see African lions; Bengal and Siberian tigers; black and tawny colored leopards; native cougars, bobcats and black bears; and Bam Bam, the playful grizzly bear… up close and personal in their special natural habitats. TCWR, situated atop the scenic Ozark Mountain, is home to approximately 100 exotic and native animals and is one of the largest and well-respected Big Cat sanctuaries in North America.
>Ghost Tours & Hunts – hunt for ghosts in one of America’s top paranormally active communities in the country. Most famous is the Crescent Ghost Tour at the 1886 Crescent Hotel & Spa, considered by many leading ghost hunters as “America’s Most Haunted Hotel”. New this year is The Ghost Hunt Adventour at the 1905 Basin Park Hotel. Haunted Eureka Springs Tour is a combination van / exploration tour of some of the other active locations in Western Carroll County.
>Three Rivers/Two Lakes – a great place to float or boat are the bodies of water that encircle Eureka Springs. The Kings and White Rivers are great for floating and fishing. A day trip to the Buffalo National River for a spring float is one of the more popular river sojourns in America. The vast, sparkling waters of Beaver and Table Rock Lakes are perfect for kayaking, boating, fishing, or simply sitting on the shore watching the sunset.
>Urban Hiking & Mountain Biking – Eureka Springs is crisscrossed with urban walking and hiking trails. Just a few hundred feet from downtown sidewalks is an opportunity to walk amid forested hillsides and limestone bluffs. Mountain biking trails are also quite numerous and challenging especially with the addition of the new downhill feature on the Lake Leatherwood City Park trail designed by renowned Rock Solid Trails out of Michigan.
3) Connectivity – At many family “attractions” the family is so spread out, family members barely see each other let alone share experiences. Eureka Springs being a smaller village of 2,000 it is hard to get separated, plus attractions are family attractions so all can get involved in each one. Many hotels have family-oriented resort activities on property designed for the whole family. Getting from Point A to Point B and beyond in Eureka is made easy through their highly reliable city trolley system. The trolleys are so much fun, some families choose to see the entire city from the open-air back platform of some of these historic-style transports.
4) Memorability – It is said that more family lifetime memories are generated in Eureka Springs than any other spot in the region. Why? The family is not separated and all can enjoy their spring break together as a family. Whether families opt for Facebook selfies or laughs over Snapchat creations, phones get a full workout during a Eureka Springs spring break.
5) Affordability – If a spring break can promise 1) thru 4), some families would pay anything to achieve all of those. However, Eureka Springs has historically kept prices affordable so families can enjoy a spring break without breaking the bank. Even if a spring break includes a visit to such nearby attractions at Silver Dollar City, Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art, or Roaring River State Park, just across the line in Missouri… day-tripping out of Eureka Springs makes any itinerary affordable.
For more information on what Eureka Springs can offer a spring break family, go to EurekaSprings.com.