France Montagnes, Atout France and 16 French mountain resorts and partners launched the 2017-2018 winter season in style on Tuesday September 5th at Lumiere London, before recognising the best articles written online and in print about mountain holidays in France at the second annual French Mountain Media Awards.
69 journalists from across the UK mountain, travel and lifestyle media came to find out what’s new and on trend in the French mountains this winter and meet with representatives from the destinations involved, before the French Mountain Media Awards dinner.
The French Mountain Media Awards rewarded the best features from the last year and were scored- by a panel from France Montagnes and Atout France- on their accuracy, relevance and inspiration.
The winners of the French Mountain Media Awards in the three categories were as follows:
- Best magazine Article
- Winner: Daniel Wildey’s whistle-stop tour of the French Pyrenees for Snow Magazine.
- Runner-up: Mary Novakovich’s comprehensive area guide to Châtel and the Portes du Soleil, for the John Lewis Magazine.
- Best newspaper article
- Winner: Gabriella Le Breton’s feature on the past, present and future of Val Thorens, for the Financial Times.
- Runner-up: Bridget Harrison for her in-depth review of hotels Rocky Pop and Fahrenheit 7 for The Times.
- Best online article
- Winner: Luke Rees, for his for his account of Les Arcs’ Great British Celebration event, on action sports website AWE365.
- Runner-up: Fraser Wilkin’s detailed report on what makes Val Cenis the ultimate snow-sure resort, for Weather To Ski.
French Mountains Winter 2017-2018 Press Kit
For an overview of news, trends and story ideas from across the mountains of France, the
French Mountains Winter 2017-2018 press pack is attached. In it are round-ups of new accommodation and restaurants, ski area developments, new trends to look out for, a selection of top events, and details for 13 new flight routes opening between the UK and France for winter 2017-2018, as well as contact information for all of the partners present on the night:
BRIDES LES BAINS
LE GRAND BORNAND
LES 2 ALPES
GO TO THE FRENCH PYRENEES
SAVOIE MONT-BLANC TOURISME
Photos from the evening can be downloaded here
If using photos, please credit ©Ken EO