Million Dollar Hole In One (MDHIO) and Tee It Up have joined forces to deliver the perfect night out for golfers – the chance to sink an ice-cold beer and tuck into a burger before walking away with a whopping $1million.
MDHIO is the hugely popular par-three hole-in-one challenge that is run throughout the year at its 40 associated courses across Europe, with competitors who bag an ace going through to a thrilling $1m shootout.
And following on from its successful partnership with American Golf in September, when more than 5,000 competitors took advantage of a similar deal to try to qualify for a separate life-changing jackpot at the world-renowned Belfry, MDHIO is set to expand its growing operation even further thanks to its tie-up with Tee It Up.
Tee It Up, based in the heart of Cardiff Bay and co-owned by Gocompare.com founder Lee Griffin and PGA golf professional Rob Johnson, is the first dedicated indoor golf simulation centre in Wales with access to 45 world-famous courses.
So, players don’t even have to worry about the temperamental Welsh weather as the state-of-the-art golf centre, which boasts three hi-tech simulators, live sport on the giant screens, fully-licensed bar serving food all day and top-of-the-range equipment, is the perfect venue to shoot for the huge jackpot.
Million Dollar Hole In One director Martin Tyrrell said: “MDHIO has been hugely popular in mainland Europe with thousands taking part since we started operations in 2000. And we saw a few months ago, through our partnership with American Golf that there is a huge appetite to play the game here in the UK.
“MDHIO and Tee It Up is the perfect partnership as we can offer golfers of all abilities an incredible experience in a great setting. The MDHIO game can be played all-year round in a relaxed and fun environment with the added bonus of being able to enjoy a drink and a burger.
“Whether you are playing with large or small groups of friends, family, or on your own, it is great entertainment. Three shots costs just £10 and anyone who lands a hole-in-one qualifies for the final later this year where they shoot for the $1m.
“We are also planning to bring in regular monthly and quarterly prizes for nearest the pin and we hope to take it to other venues around the country in the near future.”
MDHIO, which has been running since 1990 in USA and since 2000 in Europe, has steadily grown in popularity over the years and more than 50,000 people each year try their luck at the various courses across Portugal, mainland Spain, Mallorca and the UK.
The annual MDHIO final will be held alternate years in USA and other top European venues with the 2018 showdown set to be hosted in the glamorous setting of Las Vegas.
This year’s final was held at the stunning mountain setting of the Golf & Spa Grand Tirolia Kitzbühel, Austria and was attended by former England and Newcastle strike ace Alan Shearer, who is an ambassador for MDHIO’s sister company Million Dollar Club.
MDHIO is also part of Million Dollar Holdings, which comprises new insurance businesses Golf Insurance 4Uand Travel Essentials 4U, as well as established tour operators Leisure Link Golf Holidays and Golf Amigos.
Tee It Up also hosts a series of events and competitions for juniors, individuals, groups and corporation days designed to promote team building and motivation with Championship high-fliers Cardiff City FC recently enjoying a competition on the simulators.
Information for journalists
Press release written and distributed by Azalea on behalf of Million Dollar Holdings.
- Million Dollar Hole in One competitors win a selection of golf prizes for landing on the green, and if they score a hole in one at one of more than 40 courses in Portugal, mainland Spain, Majorca and the UK, they qualify to shoot for a $1m hole-in-one during an all-expenses paid trip to Las Vegas or a top European course in alternative years.
- Million Dollar Holdings is a brand-new company that has been formed from Million Dollar Hole in One and golf travel operators Leisure Link Golf Holidays and Golf Amigo.
- Leisure Link Golf Holidays and Golf Amigos are both long-established award-winning golf tour operators that have delivered tailor-made golfing holidays to a host of UK and world-wide destinations.
- The people behind Million Dollar Holdings are Martin Tyrrell, Kevin Stowe, Tracy Aslam, Doug Fisher, Jamie O’Doherty, Steve Ingle and Gordon Murray.
- A talented business developer, Martin Tyrrell boasts a deep knowledge in areas of management, recruiting, leadership, business strategy and marketing.
- Kevin Stowe enjoyed a highly successful career in the IT and telecommunications industry before moving into the golf sector where he also established the likes of Tournament Golf College and the Algarve Pro Golf Tour.
- Tracy Aslam is a board-level executive with specialised expertise in the retail sector and has experience in building customer loyalty. She recently served as a board director at Jordan Media Group and has international experience in the UK, Ireland and Australia.
- Doug Fisher is the managing director of award-winning golf holiday experts LeisureLink Golf Holidays where he has served for nearly 16 years. A talented salesperson and developer, he also has extensive experience as a trader and served at both Merrill Lynch and Phillips and Drew.
- Jamie O’Doherty, who speaks fluent German, has spent 12 years building up the MDHIO brand from scratch in Portugal and played a key role in the business development in both Lisbon and Spain’s Costa del Sol.
- Steve Ingle is a fully qualified chartered management accountant and is the head of finance for Million Dollar Holdings. He boasts more than 15 years’ experience within the accounts function.
- Gordon Murray co-founded Golf Amigos in 1993. He has been a member of IAGTO, the International Association of Golf Tour Operators since its inception 19 years ago and over the years he has developed a strong business relationship with key suppliers in the golfing industry.