The holiday season is fast approaching, and the resident elves at Terranea Resort, a Destination Hotel, in Southern California are busy creating memorable guest experiences for families that may wish to embrace the magical spirit of the holidays by getting away and creating some new traditions of their own.
We wanted to send along some of the traditions (both “tried and true”, and “new and novel”) Terranea is offering for any “family getaway” stories you may be developing around the holidays.
From Thanksgiving feasts to a New Year’s Eve bash, and everything in between, here are 10 ways that families can celebrate, and make, their own Terranea Traditions.
Tried and True:
1. Savor the age-old tradition of lighting the tree by attending Terranea’s annual Tree Lighting Ceremony on Sunday, December 3 at 5 p.m. – Guests will enjoy lively entertainment, holiday crafts for all ages and spirited music from local entertainment. They can also share in the holiday spirit and bring an unwrapped gift to donate to Toys for Tots, and afterwards, enjoy a special Tree Lighting Dinner at catalina kitchen, where DT Prime Kitchen, the signature steak night buffet, will be served. Dinner: Adults: $65 | Children: 4-10 $29 (under 3 free).Tree lighting is complimentary with donation of a toy.
2. Indulge in a festive feast at one of the resort’s eight restaurants – From grand buffets and gourmet prix fixe menus to casual dining by the sea, and even turkey take-out, Terreanea’s dining destinations have Thanksgiving, Hannukah and Christmas all wrapped up. Guests can enjoy tasting menus at mar’sel, the resort’s signature restaurant, and casual dining at Nelson’s, perched on a bluff overlooking the ocean, as well as buffets in catalina kitchen and the resort’s ballrooms, and turkey takeout from sea beans, the resort’s café. Prices vary.
3. Send postcards to the North Pole – Guests of all ages are invited to fill out personalized postcards shipped directly to Santa’s Workshop in the North Pole. There’s a good chance your letters will get a response of warm tidings from St. Nick himself. December 1 – 24, 2017 | Open During Hours of Operation | Tide Pool Kids Club
4. Send the little ones to slumber with Elf Tuck-Ins – Visions of sugarplum fairies will dance in their heads after sweet treats and bedtime stories with Santa’s special helpers – Terranea’s resident elves! A special stocking for each child to hang by the chimney is included in the elves’ visit. Nightly in December between the hours of 6pm-10pm | $35 per child | Advanced reservations required
5. Ring in 2018 with loved ones – Gather in the Marineland Ballroom to say farewell to 2017, set your resolutions for the New Year, and enjoy three delicious courses and a dessert bar. Toast to a fabulous year ahead with Champagne, wine and live entertainment. Sunday, December 31, 2017 | Seatings: 7:30pm; 8pm; 8:30pmAdults $125+ | Children/Adults ages 12-20 $90+ | Children ages 2-11 $40+
New and Novel:
1. Embark on a Turkey Day Trail Walk or Winter Soltice Hike – What better way to work up a Turkey Day appetite than by joining Terranea’s Naturalist for a picturesque guided hike around the property on Thanksgiving Day? Guests will have no guilt digging into some pumpkin pie after this invigorating hike! Or, celebrate the season with an energy boosting guided nature hike along Terranea’s native plant trails on Winter Solstice. This active holiday offering will include a visit to local attraction the Point Vicente Lighthouse. Thursday, November 23, 2017| 11:30am- 1pm and December 21, 2017 | 2pm – 4pm. Meet outside of pointe discovery. Adults and Teens $10 | 12 years and under free | Advanced reservations required
2. Delight the whole family with a Private Falconry Experience – Guests are taught the natural history of beautiful birds of prey including falcons, Harris’s Hawks and Eurasian Eagle Owls. Learn from Terranea’s falconer as he tells you about these majestic birds and the important roles they play, not only at Terranea, but in the environment as well. 1 hour | Available Fridays – Sundays at 9am
3. Embrace the inner foodie with Terranea’s Culinary Immersion program – Explore Terranea by land to sea with an unparalleled culinary immersion highlighting the resort’s Farm-to-Terranea philosophy and offering exclusive access to intimate workshops and dining experiences. The 3-day, 2-night package will immerse the senses and satisfy the inner foodie with signature dining experiences, farm tour, interactive workshops highlighting sea salt harvesting and cheese making, sommelier-led wine tasting and much more. December 15 – 17, 2017 | Two-week advanced notice required
4. Ring in the New Year at the “A Night In New Orleans” New Year’s Eve Dinner At Mar’sel – Those who join the first seating will receive a three-course tasting menu. The second seating features a five-course tasting menu in which Chef Andrew Vaughan will pay tribute to his culinary roots of New Orleans. Suggested wine pairings will be available, along with vintage Champagne offerings. The evening will be accompanied by a live jazz band and parting gifts.
Sunday, December 31, 2017 | Seatings: 5pm – 7:30pm; 7:30pm – 9pm
Adults $145; $225 | Children 5-10 $65
5. Teach the kids to golf at Junior Golf Holiday Camp
Beginners and intermediate junior golfers are invited to The Links at Terranea to learn how to ace the game. From putting and pitching to full-swing and on-course play, The Links’ PGA professional staff provide a personalized experience for students with a limited class size.
December 18 – 22, 2017 | 9am – 11am | $325| Ages 8-14
December 26 – 29, 2017 | 9am -11am | $279 | Ages 8-14
For a complete calendar of events, please visit http://www.terranea.com/palos-verdes-eventsLocated on California’s Palos Verdes Peninsula, Terranea is Los Angeles’ premier oceanfront resort with 102-acres of unparalleled Pacific Ocean views.