1. Chaplin’s World – The Modern Times Museum – Opening on April 17, Chaplin’s World in Corsier-sur-Vevey is dedicated to the life and times of filmmaker and actor Charlie Chaplin. Chaplin lived in the village from 1957 until his death in 1977, and the heart of the museum is located in his mansion, surrounded by 34 acres of gardens, pathways and terraces with panoramic views of Lake Geneva and the Alps. Chaplin’s World offers more than 32,000 square feet of interactive exhibition space, a restaurant and shop and will function as a cultural center with a changing roster of exhibits and films. Details at Chaplin’s World.
2. Moderntimes Hotel – The Moderntimes Hotel has opened in Vevey, a short distance away from Chaplin’s World. This sleek 145 room 4-star design hotel has a fitness room as well as the Times Grill restaurant and the Times Bar. Details at Moderntimes Hotel
3. The Swiss Wine Hotel & Bar – Newly opened in the heart of Lausanne, the Swiss Wine Hotel & Bar is a trendy three-star hotel with décor based on the Swiss wine region of Lavaux, the UNESCO World Heritage Site that’s adjacent to the city. The 62-room hotel has a fitness center, sauna and free WiFi, as well as a wine bar with a variety of Swiss wines. Breakfast is served in a room with panoramic views of Lausanne’s old town and the Lausanne Cathedral. Swiss Wine Hotel & Bar
4. An Alpine Night in a “Love Yurt” – Couples looking for the ultimate getaway can sleep in a yurt with an extraordinary view at Rochers-de-Naye at an altitude of 6,500 feet overlooking Lake Geneva and the Alps. Less than an hour by train from Montreux, the new “Love Yurt” promises a romantic night on the summit. The Friday/Saturday package includes a roundtrip train ride from Montreux to Rochers-de-Naye, one night in the Love Yurt, a 375-ml bottle of champagne and breakfast. The price is CHF 260 per couple, approximately $265. Details at Golden Pass.ch
5. The Hotel Royal Savoy Reopens in Lausanne – After a $100 million renovation and expansion, the legendary Hotel Royal Savoy has reopened in Lausanne as a five-star property. The palatial Art Nouveau hotel was a favorite of royals when it first opened in 1906. The grand façade remains but there is a major new addition and dramatic modern interiors, thanks to the award-winning Maria Vafiadis of MKV Design in London. There are 196 rooms, a 16,000 square foot spa and the new rooftop Sky Terrace which offers a 360° panoramic view over the city of Lausanne, Lake Geneva and the Alps. Details at Hotel Royal Savoy.
6. Summer Music in Vaud– This year marks the 50th anniversary of the extraordinary Montreux Jazz Festival, from July 1 – 16. The full lineup won’t be released until April 14 but the 2016 Grammy Award-winning English band, Muse, will be among the headliners. Held in a different Swiss town every five years, the Federal Music Festival will be based in Montreux this June. The dates are June 10-12 and 17-19. Some 25,000 musicians, including brass bands, orchestras and marching ensembles, will convene in the lakeside city for this festival, drawing some 200,000 visitors. Rock music fans head to the amazing Roman amphitheater in Avenches every August for the Rock Oz’Arènes festival, which runs from August 3 -7 and marks its 25th anniversary this summer. Finally, music will be in the air all summer in the city of Lausanne, which hosts the Lausanne Estivale from mid-June to mid-September. It will feature a vast number of concerts, shows and entertainments for all ages that will be entirely free.
The Lake Geneva Region (Canton of Vaud) is located in the French-speaking part of Western Switzerland. Visitors come for the history and the rich culture, but also for wine tastings in the Lavaux vineyards, a UNESCO World Heritage Site overlooking Lake Geneva and the Alps. They dine in celebrated Michelin-starred restaurants and local brasseries and visit lively farmers markets. Outdoor opportunities are endless, from skiing to hiking, biking and walking in the mountains and boating or swimming in Lake Geneva. Visit the Lake Geneva Region for more information.