This Winter, head to the coolest place in the State – Victoria’s High Country – where snow-covered alpine resorts and stunning valley villages are rugging up, stoking up the fires and rolling out a warm welcome to the new season.
On and off-mountain the region’s famous, locally grown produce, wine, craft beer and spirits are on the menu at Chef’s Hatted restaurants like The Provenance in Beechworth and The Terrace at All Saints. Don’t miss the High Country’s fab gastropubs like The Empire in Beechworth; in Bright funky eateries like Tomahawks or gin distillery door Reed & Co. Hit the High Country Brewery Trail to sample dark winter ales at a range of craft breweries like the new King River Brewing, or explore the region’s many inviting cellar doors offering internationally awarded fortifieds and other delicious drops to ward off the winter chill.
And then there’s the accommodation. How about an Alpine Nature Experience for a cosy, gourmet night in an eco-dome in the snow gazing up at the Milky Way? Or an Ultimate Girls’ Package featuring bubbles, spas, yoga and e-bikes at luxe new Bright accommodation, 31 Delany? Or maybe, just like Rapunzel, let down your hair in a five star romantic tower for two at historic Mount Ophir.
This Winter, head to victoriashighcountry.com.au to explore everything this stunning region has to offer, to play in the snow, cycle the Rail Trails, eat and drink or just soak up the beautiful views.
Contact Tourism North East PR Manager, Sue Couttie, for more about these and other new and must-do High Country experiences on and off-mountain this Winter season.
Phone 03 5728 2772 or email@example.com
HERE’S SOME OF WHAT’S NEW IN VICTORIA’S HIGH COUNTRY THIS WINTER
IN THE VALLEYS
- Elm Dining: New kid on the Bright dining scene, offering contemporary Australian fare and showcasing fresh local produce in the cosy house formerly home to Simone’s of Bright.
- Sixpence Coffee at 15 Wills St: A brand new roastery serving up some of the High Country’s best brew and sensational pastries.
- 31 Delaney, Bright: As above, a newly renovated, character-filled three bedroom place to getaway with the girls, just five minutes from town.
- Big Sky – spanking new premium holiday accommodation modelled on a Canadian Ski Lodge. Launching late June.
- Dr Mauve Bar & Lounge: Recent addition to Bright’s food & wine scene. Serving up excellent cocktails and Asian fusion fare in lively and intimate spaces until late.
- Darker Days at the Bright Brewery, the second annual mid-winter family-friendly event on Saturday 30 June featuring dark beers from craft brewers of the High Country Brewery Trail, mulled cider, warming foods, roasted chestnuts, live music and a ceremonial bonfire.
- A range of new accommodation at historic winery, Mount Ophir, near Rutherglen.
- The Old Gaol Cafe has been undergoing a transformation in recent times thanks to a community consortium which bought the historic site. The Old Gaol Cafe is in a very funky Airstream caravan in the courtyard of the Gaol, serving up excellent Sixpence Coffee (Bright) and delicious homemade cakes and lunch snacks.
- The Empire Hotel – Beechworth’s newest foodie destination. Excellent food on the menu for casual or formal dining in this totally transformed pub.
- The King Valley Balloon Festival – Queen’s Birthday Weekend. A brand new event this Queen’s Birthday weekend offers yet another reason for visitors to experience the King Valley. Across the long weekend a mass of hot air balloons will float over the beautiful vine-studded valley, taking off from Milawa or Whitfield each day.
- George & Al Roy – brand new takeaway and cafe in a bright little High Street space. Serving up super-delicious salads, chia puddings, vegan panna cottas, wonton Asian soups and house special burger, the Roy Al. With Friday evening takeaway burger nights it’s the ideal road-trip pit stop.
- New Gay-friendly accommodation – Rainbow House – a modern, couple’s only apartment on a 37 acre farm property with views to Mount Buller, just a 10 minute walk to Mansfield.
NEW ON THE PEAKS
- Launching late June, Frenchman, Jean-Francois Rupp’s new Alpine Nature Experience builds on his successful 2017 Snowshoe to Fondue experience, with Igloo to Skidoo – offering overnight stays in purpose-built eco-domes in the snow. Equipped with wood heaters, cosy beds and including dinner and skidoo transfer home, this is an unbeatable and unique snow season experience.
DINNER PLAIN ALPINE VILLAGE
- High Plains Draught – Blizzard Brewery at Dinner Plain, Australia’s highest altitude craft brewery, has joined forces in 2018 to launch a new High Plains draught on tap this winter at the High Plains Hotel.
- A new fit-out for The Frying Pan Inn will include a new menu and new outdoor area.
- Cloud 9 has also been given a makeover, offering a fresh new look, a brand new menu including wood fired pizzas and smoked meat offers, as well as a new mezzanine bar where you can soak up the views and enjoy a break from the slopes.
- Dickie Knees will transform into a Taqueria this season.
- The team behind Easy Eats have transformed Gateway into the new Brewhouse, and will also have a new snack shack set up in Slalom Plaza.
- The resort has invested $9 million in a brand new chairlift. The new Eagle Express is a high speed fully detachable quad chair by Leitner-Poma, making reaching the back side of the resort faster and more comfortable.
- Falls Creek has also spent an additional $1M on a Park Pro groomer, the only one of it’s kind in Australia.
- In a world first, season 2018 will see kids’ entertainment powerhouse, Nickelodeon, partner with Falls Creek to sponsor the children’s ski and snowboard programs. Injecting more fun and excitement for families, kids 3-5 can play with the Paw Patrol Puppies in Snow Club, those 6-12 will hang with SpongeBob, and for teens, TMNT take over the Ride Tribe. This builds on Falls Creek’s school holiday program in September 2017 where SpongeBob came to visit, and in 2018 they’ll have the Paw Patrol puppies visiting at the start of July school holidays!
New accommodation news:
- AMO Lodge – http://amolodge.com.au
Alpine luxe doesn’t get much better than this. The stunning architecturally-designed freestanding chalet comes equipped with everything you could need for an Insta-worthy weekend on the slopes. Sitting right on the Shakey Knees ski run, AMO offers true ski-in, ski-out luxury – three stories high and large enough to accommodate two families or six couples, the lodge is beautifully appointed and features full kitchen (with incredible views and even a teppanyaki plate), full spa and sauna, Foxtel, WI-FI, 12-seat dining table, lush linen and towels and even an incredible loft space for the kids to watch movies and play.
- Whitehorse Village apartments (WHV3.1) – http://apartments.bullerholidays.com.au/apartment/whitehorse-village/
The newest and most exclusive development in the Australian Alps, Whitehorse Village is a slick new development right on the Bourke Street ski run. Whitehorse is the highest accommodation property on Mt Buller and is true ski-in, ski-out luxury and beautifully fitted out. These apartments are just made for entertaining – open fire, heated terrace and luxurious surroundings. Sleeping eight people across three bedrooms, Whitehorse features a full kitchen, drying room facilities, private laundry and fireplace.
Taking cues from its namesake, the Courcheval apartments offer alpine luxury with absolutely spectacular views. Offering modern, spacious accommodation and fully equipped with kitchen, private drying room, laundry, private balcony, cosy fireplace and more, Coucheval sleeps up to 10 people and boasts an enviable ski-in ski-out location.
- Sundowner Lodge http://sundownermtbuller.com.au
Sundowner is one of several older style lodges on Mt Buller that has been fully renovated to breathe new life into the lodges that many people will remember staying in as kids. Sundowner has been brought into the 21st century with modern, open plan living and dining facilities, with shared rooms and bathrooms that mean accommodation is as affordable as it is beautiful. Warm, welcoming and located in a stunning area of the Mt Buller Village, Sundowner is a popular choice for those wishing to save their pennies for a couple more nights out on the town.
Resort media libraries: